We're cheap and expendable.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Death by Kuvasz
Unranked
Unranked

PostSubject: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Mon 02 Aug 2010, 10:36 pm

It's hard to find any solid info on this, but from what I can tell, the levels are just going to be bigger than they were previously. Sandbox usually implies an open world game where you're free to roam around and do whatever you want, whenever you want. That doesn't seem to be the case for Halo: Reach. Or did I miss something?

If not, then why in the world do they keep calling it a sandbox?
Back to top Go down
VGH_Jacob
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Mon 02 Aug 2010, 11:15 pm

You know, I was wondering the same thing. I take it when they say "sandbox," they are referring to the structure of the levels, which like you said, seem more open and have different paths you can approach. I haven't seen anything to suggest that you'll be running around getting different missions, it is still Halo after all, there has to be a linear underlying story.

I think maybe it has to do with them trying to build up some hype around the game, trying to get people to see that this isn't your same run of the mill Halo game, that there are actually changes. But I agree, if they wanted to say that, don't keep flaunting around the whole "sandbox" thing if thats not what it really is.

Back to top Go down
http://www.videogamehenchmen.com/
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Mon 02 Aug 2010, 11:26 pm

You will see, Nico Bellic

Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Tue 03 Aug 2010, 12:52 am

I think its because of Forge 2.0

Indiana Cajones
Unranked
Unranked

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Tue 03 Aug 2010, 11:46 pm

Me personally, I wouldn't call Halo a "sandbox" game, but I can see the argument being made.

Each battle can be dealt with in a ton of different ways; much more so than Gears, or other FPS. Also, Forge has shot the "alternate-gametype" frenzy through the roof; some people even play Soccer in Halo by shooting a ball around on teams.

Sure, Halo isn't like Fallout, but that doesn't mean it's not a sandbox-style game. "Sandboxes" come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.
Back to top Go down
laaka2raw
Unranked
Unranked

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Wed 04 Aug 2010, 10:50 am

Forge looks crazy nasty cant wait to start designing my maps
Back to top Go down
Epic Fail Guy

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Wed 04 Aug 2010, 1:30 pm

laaka2raw wrote:
Forge looks crazy nasty cant wait to start designing my maps

i know right, i'm not very good at it, but still, have you seen the map they call "Forge World" that is probably the biggest, most coolest map i have ever seen.

Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   Sun 08 Aug 2010, 3:04 pm

The term "sandbox" usually refers to a certain genre of games, i.e. open world sandbox games. You don't get to call a linear game a sandbox just because it has a few options, for the same reason you can't call an open world game linear just because the main plot missions are usually linear.

It's just very weird to me that they would say "This is a sandbox game", when it's just a normal, linear first person shooter with (possibly) more dynamic AI.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?   

Back to top Go down

Why do they call Halo: Reach a sandbox game?
Page 1 of 1