Video Game Henchmen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're cheap and expendable.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Medal of Honor Controversy?

Go down 
+2
Forgotten_Gamer
TheNameAlreadyExists
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheNameAlreadyExists
Unranked
Unranked
TheNameAlreadyExists

Medal of Honor Controversy? Empty
PostSubject: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm

Medal of Honor controversy?

I'm curious to see what some of your opinions, as gamers, are on this topic. I'm gonna have to wait till I can actually hear the interview in the vid that's given, but I can see where, to some this might be a bit much. In the same breath, as a long time gamer myself, I can also say that, speaking for myself, that I don't have a problem with playing as a Taliban character. I think mainly because I get it in the sense that when I power up my system, and I log on, I am partaking in a fantasy world that has been created by a team of computer experts for my gaming enjoyment. I'm not looking at it from the Taliban's point of view in other words just as I never thought I was a Nazi when I played as a German soldier in World at War. I'm just merely trying to enjoy the game.

Having said that however, I'm not totally insensitive to the fact that this is a very real scenario for alot of people that either have a loved one over there right now or has lost a loved one as a result of this conflict; hell, I have a cousin I grew up with over there right now so I can totally understand why someone may be up in arms over something like this. So, I pose the question to my fellow forum goers. Is playing as a member of the Taliban in a game a case of too much too soon? Or should it be viewed as a case of a work of fiction (based off real world events) in which all roles must be played by someone?

Oh, and here's a link to the article/video:
Inevitably, Someone's Mad That You Can Be The Taliban In Medal of Honor

Oh, and lastly, I understand we do have some youthful members here on the site, but I would like to think the vast majority of us are mature enough to be able to try to have a discussion about this. I am not trying to start any kind of political debate or cause any kind of forum flame war as I also understand that this topic can be a touchy one. I'm truely curious as to how some of you may feel about this paticular topic. So let us please keep the hostilities to a minimum please. Other than that, express yourself!
Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 1:00 pm

This reminds me of when MW2 was coming out and everyone was pissed off about the airport slaughter level. It seems so horrible at first when we hear about it but once we see it and play it, we see that it plays a crucial part in the story telling and nobody minds it after that.

If it was a whole game devoted to slaughtering troops, then it would be a real issue, but just a level of it is nothing.
Back to top Go down
shivertimbermike
shivertimbermike

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 1:35 pm

There should be no argument over it: a game is a game, it isn't real and people shouldn't think it is. It's just like anything else: a book, a movie. Just because the person gets to feel connected to the role that experience is only existent in the game -- I certainly do not kill an airport of civilians in Modern Warfare 2, shut down the game and then kill a whole bunch of innocents in Gatwick similarly I'm not going to play as a Taliban and then carry out extreme terrorist acts. It's fantasy and made for my entertainment.
Back to top Go down
VGH_Jacob
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Jacob

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 5:03 pm

I understand it's a sensitive matter, but I agree with Mike. No matter what people say, video games are a form of entertainment, interactive entertainment to be specific, and while the media and oblivious mothers can say it makes us want to kill things, the truth is it doesn't. A game effects me about as much as a movie would. I marvel at the effects, action and story but in the end of the day it's all make believe. The people who mix real life and games have something wrong with them and shouldn't be playing them if their gonna start shooting a crowd of people up.

Bottom line, the media's gonna stir up controversy because that's what the media does. Is it complete BS, for the most part yes. It's like the dude said, someone's gotta play the bad guy whether it be cops and robbers or MW2, you just have to realize that at the end of the day it's a game. I support our troops and feel for the families but this just seems a bit ridiculous to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.videogamehenchmen.com/
RawlerBrawler
DONATOR
DONATOR
RawlerBrawler

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 1:17 am

I just played Just Cause 2, and I want to grapple all over your mommas vagina caves.
Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptyWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:00 am

WHY YOU MAD THO!?
Back to top Go down
Superdave513
DONATOR
DONATOR
Superdave513

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptyWed 25 Aug 2010, 9:06 pm

Sometimes I wish people just stopped taking things way too seriously and learn to have fun.
Back to top Go down
VGH_Jacob
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Jacob

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptyWed 25 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm

I hear ya Dave, people just need to take a CHEEL PEEL!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.videogamehenchmen.com/
Superdave513
DONATOR
DONATOR
Superdave513

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? EmptyThu 26 Aug 2010, 12:08 am

CHEEALZ PAAELZ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Medal of Honor Controversy?   Medal of Honor Controversy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Medal of Honor Controversy?
Page 1 of 1