Video Game Henchmen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're cheap and expendable.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AnttiApina
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
AnttiApina

My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas. Empty
PostSubject: My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas.   My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas. EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 10:34 am

New Vegas is one of the highest most anticapated games coming out this fall. Suprising? Hardly, with the great success that Fallout 3 was and Obsidian is building on the formula that made Fallout 3 addictive. You can actual give orders to your companion, gambling, hardcore mode, and indepth customization of weapons. Amazing additions to the gameplay,but there is one thing it is worrying me with New Vegas, the location.

When you take your first steps out of vault 101, in Fallout 3, you are blinded but then your eyes adjust to not a paradise, but devastation. Buildings reduced to ruble, streets that are barely existent, a post-apocolypse wasteland. It is just you and any low-grade weapons thatyou managed to loot of gaurds in the Vault. Then, your first encounter with one of the many dangers of the wasteland. The sense of survivalism and desperation kickstarts and stays till you stop playing.

It's unfair to judge a game before it is played but from screenshots andvideos, I'm unsure if New Vegas will contain this. In the Fallout folklore, the west coast was not hit with as much nuclear explosions as D.C. did. Therefore, New Vegas is cleaner, more civilized, and buildings and houses are more complete. New Vegas is a complete city despite the rest of the world being in pieces. For me, this gives the location less of a feeling of desperation and the intense feeling of survival is low with an actual city being within the game world. Meaning, there is a greater supply of ammo, weapons, and health. The idea of scavenging would feel more like a burden, with the ease of just saving money and buy some new weapon. There is a wasteland within New Vegas, but from what I have seen it looks just like a desert. Which, is consistent with the location but it doesn't have the dirty, grimy textures, it looks like it is just sand.

It is only my opinion that New Vegas will not have the same feel as Fallout 3 and I may be proven wrong with the release. One thing I really need to point out, I'm not saying New Vegas will suck My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas. 4PP_chach, I am just unsure if it will be able to surpass Fallout 3.

Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas.   My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas. EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 10:38 am

Honestly, I was hoping the game would be a little smoother. There was a gameplay video where an enemy popped out of cover, but instead of leaning out or standing and strafing they just used the standing animation (position) and they kind of floated up and out of cover motionless. It looked ridiculous.

Honestly, location is not one of my biggest worries. I'm worried that it will be more of the same, which isn't always a problem, but when you log over 100 hours into a game you kind of hope for some innovation in the next. I'm just worried it won't deliver in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Superdave513
DONATOR
DONATOR
Superdave513

PostSubject: Re: My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas.   My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas. EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 10:47 am

It's interesting how you liked all the open environments in Fallout 3. For me it was cool on like the first two playthroughs, but after that I kinda just didn't want to get back into the game. Why? The game was simply too expansive for its own good. When I wasn't doing quests for people I was trekking endless to get to the next mission or finding all the magazines I already knew about. It all became a big chore. The constant killing also became mind numbing. IMO Fallout 3 suffers from the same problem that the DMC series does. They're both good games however they become hampered by their own overused mechanics. Combat.

Both games aren't like fast paced arcade style romps like Metal Slug or your typical beat em ups where the idea is to get the best score possible while having fun. These games like many others on consoles and PCs are based objectively to get from point A to point B while developing your character through other means to get an edge (finding books, weapons, collection hidden orbs, discovering bonus stages). The only difference between these two titles is that FO3 lets you choose how to get there whereas DMC is more linear. So when I discovered a game in this kind of fashion where you have expected the unexpected there's eventually no thrill to it.. And sure FO3 has much more variety being that it has quests, but when most of them require you to do even more searching and more fighting it just dilutes the experience into one big combat scenario.

I'm hoping that New Vegas is going to bring back the survival in the Fallout series where fighting isn't the key to winning. Where each quest or mission can have a violent or non violent route and where violence is something you want to avoid. In my experience playing games I've realized that when you've become accustomed to playing a certain way or when you're confident in your fighting capabilities the thrill of a hostile environment vanishes. Changing up the gameplay, offering new and exciting elements to the game world, keeping things in a smaller scope, and eliminating the artificial methods of making a game longer will most definitely make an awesome game.

If you read all this I commend you for putting up with my babbling.
Back to top Go down
VGH_John
VGH_John

PostSubject: Re: My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas.   My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas. EmptyThu 02 Sep 2010, 2:40 am

@Superdave I have never played a fallout game before 3 like a lot of people. I can definitely see where you are coming from. My first playthrough I did almost every quest. Some of the most interesting were the survival guide where you would try to sneak into a nest without killing any of the enemies or the tenpenny tower quest that gave you the option of killing off the ghouls or helping them get into tenpenny tower. Is this what you are talking about? The idea of completing a quest through stealth or speech rather than brute force?

@Forgotten More of the same is usually not a bad thing. Look at many great series or series that have a large following, Halo this is a fun multiplayer experience and each game is tweaked and new things are added and old great things are taken away but it is usually just more of the same. Again I am not saying thats bad. Mario, Left 4 dead 2, yes this game is very much left 4 dead just take away the new special infected and weapons and there you go. Back to square one. Dead rising 2, for those of you who havent played case zero just take my word for it. Dead rising 2 will be a polished version of the first game. Survivors aren't total dumb asses, you can move and shoot, and as much as I don't want to say it Chuck Greene is a better character than Frank West. These are just a few examples of games that follow very closely to the ones made before. If you played fallout 3 for 100+ hours then you will have no problem playing this one for that long. Just think of it as a large expansion for fallout 3.

@AnttiApina sometimes change is a good thing. A change in environment may make people feel as though it is worth playing. Think about fallout 4 being in the same place as fallout 3. What is left to fix? Being out west they can focus more on story and settings and characters and factions that were mentioned in their previous games in this universe. It only makes sense for them to make this move. Will you see as many destroyed buildings? No. Is this a bad thing? No. It should just give you more places to explore and more items and loot to find and keep. That is unless they are inaccessible, then they are just a waist of space. The idea of different factions and governments is also a great addition. It will make it much easier to do multiple playthroughs since the wasteland is not just black and white anymore. From what I have read each faction has its own good thing and its own bad, they are morally grey. So it will end up being your choice as to which is the best one to join. All in all this game will probably not have the same feel as fallout 3. It will have its own feel, with the changed up combat, party system, environment, and moral choices that is bound to happen even when running on the same engine. I just hope it is worth the time and money we are bound to put into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas.   My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas. Empty

Back to top Go down

My concern regarding Fallout: New Vegas.
Page 1 of 1