Video Game Henchmen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're cheap and expendable.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are you a Graphics Whore?

Go down 
+2
Venusflywap
Rob_Keyes
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob_Keyes
DONATOR
DONATOR
Rob_Keyes

Are you a Graphics Whore? Empty
PostSubject: Are you a Graphics Whore?   Are you a Graphics Whore? EmptyMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:58 pm

Are you a Graphics Whore? This seems to be a offshoot of Fanboyism run amuck but is just as puzzling to comprehend. People throw out specs and numbers like 720 or 1080 this and HD that. Pixel resolution computations and framerate numbers. Is it a valid argument or is it just nitpicking? Does it really matter in the long run/bigger picture or is just narrow minded viewpoint?

Speaking as someone who has been around since the Atari days, I just don't see it. I don't necessarily need 1080p HD with realistic lighting and fog effect particles at 60 fps in order to enjoy gaming. So why is it a sticking point argument for so many and it just seems to fluctuate in waves from generation to generation. I don't need Mario in HD in order to enjoy his games. I just need the games to be fun and enjoyable for me to play. The way my setup is right now my TV/PS3 automatically chooses a set resolution for each game I play, so that game that was touted as 1080p automatically boots up as 720p. I could care less and if it wasn't for the dialogue box that popped up to tell me it doesn't sway my opinion either way.I can even go back to the older generations and still have as much fun without getting hung up on the 8bit blockyness or the chunkiness of the Polygon era without any reservation. So I just don't see why anyone gets so hung up on minutia that they can't technically measure so easily. Without instrumentation gear constantly reading throughout a game how can these people claim that what a PR released tech readout is in fact accurate. What if the only thing running at 60fps is in fact just the cinematic and so on. Look at it this way, take the highest specs out there and someone could come along using these same specs and create a 8bit game that uses all of these buzzwords but still would be seen as inferior even though is uses the same criteria. It could be 1080p HD with 60FPS but still be the most basic visual output .

By their standards it's not worth it unless it meets specific criteria but as we all know not everyone is using or even contemplating such a set parameter list. Just because a game is below the criteria doesn't in any way make it inferior as the same as every game that does it is necessarily superior. By their logic if a game meets the standard then every game that follows is shit no matter what, isn't that narrow minded? If I felt that Uncharted 2 was the best and everything that graphics should be on the PS3 then should every game no matter what that fails to do so be graphically inferior to this unrealistic ideology. I don't hold the games to this standard so I'm not blinded by the tech specs as a determination of enjoyment. Very few games have even come close to Uncharted 2 but their in no way inferior to it.

I don't think that graphics or specs should be determined as highly as they are. Or even as touted as they are in certain cases as a selling point. Take Enslaved and it's campaign of whoring the facial animations as a selling point. Were they that impressive? I didn't see that much difference between these and Ninja Theory's previous work that was featured in Heavenly Sword. They were almost identical and what good is touting the animation if it's one of at least 6 that is replayed ad nauseam throughout an entire game. Why is this so special if you see the same damn thing over and over throughout the entire 5 to 6 hour experience. The animations didn't really improve the game but hindered it severely after the 20th time just due to repetition.

Do you get blinded by specs or is it just an added bonus for you?
Back to top Go down
Venusflywap
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
Venusflywap

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Graphics Whore?   Are you a Graphics Whore? EmptyMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:00 pm

ohh its a good question, tho its a not a easy answer looking at most of good recent games they graphics are pretty good.. tho games like halo have sweet gameplay but average graphics..

I think all young gamers expect good visuals from new games, like Rob Keys said in old days of Atari and commodore 64 graphics were pretty crap and what was important was game play so i think we have different point of view at things then younger audience that is brain washed to think good graphics=good game (look TV ads)
Back to top Go down
Claustrophobic Clown
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
Claustrophobic Clown

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Graphics Whore?   Are you a Graphics Whore? EmptyMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:02 pm

Graphics are never anything I judge a game on and I am rather tolerable about it but I am also a gamer who tries to squeeze as much graphical finesse out of a game as I can without running into bad performance because to me, it can help a lot with immersion and making the game world feel more real.
Back to top Go down
Superdave513
DONATOR
DONATOR
Superdave513

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Graphics Whore?   Are you a Graphics Whore? EmptyMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm

Claustrophobic Clown wrote:
Graphics are never anything I judge a game on and I am rather tolerable about it but I am also a gamer who tries to squeeze as much graphical finesse out of a game as I can without running into bad performance because to me, it can help a lot with immersion and making the game world feel more real.

Exactly what I wanted to say, but at the same time I do love graphics and I guess I would call myself a semi-graphics whore. I do love graphics and I always hope for a game to have it aswell but if it hasn't, well I'll still buy the game.

Story and gameplay will always be more important than graphics and that is how it will stay since we all know most games these days do come with good graphics.
Back to top Go down
Obasanjo
Unranked
Unranked
Obasanjo

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Graphics Whore?   Are you a Graphics Whore? EmptyMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:10 pm

It depends. I can go back and play old games with ease, all the way back to Sega Genesis Emulators and play games like Shining Force for hours. I can even play NEW games I haven't grown up on, as long as they are good.

But I think my realization that graphics were important when New Vegas came out, and after playing games like Final Fantasy XIII this year, it just looks ugly. It takes a little air out of the game's wings.

When something looks cool it makes the game better. Particularly as games are becoming more cinematic. For almost all RPGs, graphics don't mean anything really. But one of the main reasons I like Empire: Total War is it's beautiful graphics and may the game more enjoyable because I could see more within battles.
Back to top Go down
VGH_Evan
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Evan

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Graphics Whore?   Are you a Graphics Whore? EmptyTue 02 Nov 2010, 9:56 am

It's hard to look at games like Uncharted 2 and not marvel at the superb graphics. Coming from experience, it is super hard to go from HD gaming back to standard definition as it looks completely different. Sometimes graphic though are the selling point, look at Cel-shading games ike Windwaker, Boderlands, and Crackdown. Overall though, I wouldn't ever look at a game and be like, "Oh the graphics suck...fuck this game." But when I see games like Crysis, it makes my mouth water.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Graphics Whore?   Are you a Graphics Whore? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you a Graphics Whore?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Video Game Henchmen :: Miscellaneous :: General Discussions-
Jump to: