Video Game Henchmen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're cheap and expendable.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?

Go down 
+3
Forgotten_Gamer
Left4DeadFan
Midnight_Walker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Midnight_Walker
Banned
Banned
Midnight_Walker

How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? Empty
PostSubject: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 10:49 pm

I know it can unbrick your PSP if it was broken from an incomplete firmware upgrade. I know you can use it to recognise ALL games, even homebrew games (standard PSP operation has copyprotection that limits it to play Sony PSP encrypted games, which prevents piracy but also prevents homebrew unfortunately). But what is in the battery does this? Isn't a battery just a power source? I hear it works by activating debug mode (usually used by Sony for fixing technical problems). But I also hear you can get it to boot to debug mode by holding the right shoulder button (a.k.a. right trigger) when turning on tht PSP. So what's the difference between the R-Button bootup, and booting with a Pandora battery?
Back to top Go down
Left4DeadFan
Left4DeadFan

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm

Sony pretty much thought they could outsmart the hackers/modders whatever you prefer to call them by putting the security code in the ICO4 line of the battery. to make a pandora battery you just break that connection which, in effect, breaks the security coding allowing you to unbrick your PSP and run pirated games and homebrew.

hope that helped
Back to top Go down
Midnight_Walker
Banned
Banned
Midnight_Walker

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:03 pm

Left4DeadFan wrote:
Sony pretty much thought they could outsmart the hackers/modders whatever you prefer to call them by putting the security code in the ICO4 line of the battery. to make a pandora battery you just break that connection which, in effect, breaks the security coding allowing you to unbrick your PSP and run pirated games and homebrew.

hope that helped

But a battery is just a power source. It isn't a computer. It can't perform encryption. How does it actually WORK? And what is an ICO4 line?

Also, is the battery hack all you need to run homebrew games? Or (like most hacks) is this simple sounding step just one of many steps needed to fully unlock the device for user-made software, foreign region games, and bootlegs?
Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:08 pm

Quote :
bootlegs?

How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? Unsure
Back to top Go down
Midnight_Walker
Banned
Banned
Midnight_Walker

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:09 pm

Forgotten_Gamer wrote:
Quote :
bootlegs?

How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? Unsure

What?
Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:10 pm

I dunno, it says so in the rules that we weren't supposed to talk about illegal shit. Don't get me wrong I'm all for supporting modding your PSP because if you own some 64 games, you have every right to put them on your hand held so you can play them anytime, but just the board rules are shady about us speaking of anything illegal. which Bootlegs, certainly are.
Back to top Go down
Midnight_Walker
Banned
Banned
Midnight_Walker

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:10 pm

I was mentioning bootlegs only in passing. I mentioned it because it illustrates just how opened up your PSP becomes (software wise) with the correct mod. However I still haven't gotten a straight answer to my question. Don't be afraid to answer. Modding discussion is NOT against the rules.

So I'm gonna repeat my above post with all the questions (using a bigger font so people see how important it is to get answers) I had about the Pandora battery. And this time I want an answer to the questions.

But a battery is just a power source. It isn't a computer. It can't perform encryption. How does it actually WORK? And what is an ICO4 line?

Also, is the battery hack all you need to run non-official games and backups of official games? Or (like most hacks) is this simple sounding step just one of many steps needed to fully unlock the device for non-official games and backups of official games?
Back to top Go down
Magnum Force
Magnum Force

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm

I have the answers you seek. Demanding them wont get them from me though. Also, this site dosent allow it.
Back to top Go down
Midnight_Walker
Banned
Banned
Midnight_Walker

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm

I see your point. But you are mistaken. As long as the topic stays on modification and does not request warez, there is no problem. I mean my topic was on modding, not pirating. It is perfectly legal to play true backed up games (not pirated games) as well as homebrew. While modification and pirating often go together, they don't always. There is a thin, but very firm boundary between modding and piracy. The first is legal; the latter is ILLEGAL.

As such, as long as my intent is to play legal games by modding, the discussing the modding is fine. While the act of discussing piracy is against forum rules, the act of discussing console modding is NOT against the forum rules. This means when I as for the FULL tech specs of how the pandora battery works, how it breaks the Sony encryption, the nature of Sony's encryption and the details of how it's implemented in the PSP, How the battery fits into the encryption scheme, and what the ICO4 on the battery is and how it facilitates the encryption, when I ask about these things because it fits under the topic of modding there is no forum rule stopping you from answering these questions.
Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:13 pm

This thread is out of my good graces...

Haaccckkgkhkkgkgkhghkk Pppptttttoo

(Spitting in disgust at your large fonted rudeness)
Back to top Go down
asdfghjkl
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
asdfghjkl

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:14 pm

The problem is that like you say, there is a very fine line between modding and piracy, and it won't be long before the discussion crosses over into the realms of evil. So it's best to just avoid the topic altogether. And look, if this information is that important to you, then this is not the world's only website. You're sat right in front of an internet-connected computer with a wealth of information at your fingertips. Just fucking Google it!
Back to top Go down
VGH_John
VGH_John

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:16 pm

This is a warning, I edited your post. DO NOT USE FONT THAT BIG. If you want to make a point then do so in a civilized way.
Back to top Go down
VGH_Lance
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Lance

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? EmptyThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:17 pm

Modding systems only leads to bad things, This thread is locked.
Back to top Go down
http://videogamehenchmen.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?   How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work? Empty

Back to top Go down

How does the Pandora Battery for the PSP work?
Page 1 of 1