Video Game Henchmen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're cheap and expendable.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

10 Favorite Songs and Why?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FairXChange
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
FairXChange

10 Favorite Songs and Why? Empty
PostSubject: 10 Favorite Songs and Why?   10 Favorite Songs and Why? EmptySun 08 Aug 2010, 3:33 pm

I know everyone has favorite songs, but no one really explains why. So these are mine in no particular order, and why I briefly like them.

1.Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
*Really sad song, but I just kind of think about people who have come and gone in my life

2.In the Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
*I'm just fascinated with this song, but it makes me think I just got to appreciate every day

3.Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
*Love song but it's just awesome

4.Lookin' Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival
*My dad's favorite band, and I always think about home and where I grew when i listen to it.

5.Modern Man's Hustle - Atmosphere
*Not much to say, but it's just been a personal favorite

6.In My Life - The Beatles
*Think everyone has a favorite Beatles song, and this is mine. Just appreciate everything.

7.The Way - Fastball
*90's tune, but I sing it a lot randomly and it has a good meaning

8.Last Resort - The Eagles
*This is my mom's favorite song, so I kind of adopted it as a reminder

9.You Only Live Once - The Strokes
*You probably see a trend by now

10.The Good Life - Weezer
*One of my favorite albums and bands. Basically don't be a stiff and live life.
Back to top Go down
VGH_Jacob
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Jacob

PostSubject: Re: 10 Favorite Songs and Why?   10 Favorite Songs and Why? EmptySun 08 Aug 2010, 8:15 pm

Nice topic, I've been wanting to do something like this. Here's my list, also in no particular order. I tried to steer away from putting down the same artists to give my list more variety.

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-7) by Pink Floyd - This is probably my favorite Pink Floyd song. I remember the first time I heard this almost 18 minute masterpiece I was just blown away. The guitars, the vocals, the saxophone, there's just so many awesome parts to this song, definitely one of my favorites.

2. Your Hand In Mine by Explosions In The Sky - I remember the first time I downloaded The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place. I had no idea who Explosions In The Sky were or what Post-Rock music was, but the reviews on iTunes seemed to say that this was an album worth listening to. So I downloaded it and have never viewed music the same way since. Post-Rock is now one of my favorite musical genres and its all thanks to this album/band. I only picked this song because it seems to be the most popular song of EITS, but I honestly recommend the whole album because the songs are so well crafted and flow so well together, you'd be doing the album an injustice by not listening to the whole thing from beginning to end.

3. Taylor by Jack Johnson - I'm almost positive that this was one of the first Jack Johnson songs I heard, and is still to this day one of my favorites. The mellow/upbeat vibe Jack Johnson creates is something I envy as a musician. I always play this song when I'm down in the Keys or hanging out at our lake house and it just sets that relaxing summer mood right away. It's also one of the reasons why Jack Johnson is one of my favorite musicians of all time.

4. A Pirate Looks At Forty by Jimmy Buffett - Some people hate him, some love him, but growing up around boats and fishing, I was always listening to Jimmy Buffett. My dad is a huge Parrot Head and this song just seems to capture that feeling of hanging out down in the Keys with my family and being out on the water.

5. Peace of Mind by Boston - One of my favorite Boston and classic rock tunes. Being a guitar player myself, I always envied the sound and playing of Boston, particularly in this song. I'll never get tired of listening to them.

6. #41 by Dave Matthews - I like the album version of this song, but the best version is by far the live version with Tim Reynolds in the Live at Luther College CD and the Live at Radio City CD. The pure stripped down nature of the song with Dave's vocals and Tim's playing makes it one of my favorite songs of all time. This song made me a huge fan of stripped down acoustic performances.

7. Layla by Derek & The Dominos - A great classic tune by the man, Eric Clapton. Arguably one of the best guitarists of all time, I just had to include him on my list and this song is one of my favorites.

8. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin - I could never leave off one of the greatest songs of all time. From the subtle opening with the acoustic guitar to arguably one of the best solos of all time, it's every guitar player's dream song. Not to mention Robert Plant's vocals, which are still some of the best in rock music, up there with Freddie Mercury from Queen.

9. Blackbird by Alter Bridge - Probably my favorite song of theirs. Myles Kennedy's vocals and Mark Tremonti's guitar playing are some of the best out there currently and this song showcases the band's amazing talent. I love every minute of it, from the haunting opening to the shred-worthy guitar solo, there's just nothing bad about it.

10. Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits - Absolutely love this song. All of the subtle guitar licks Mark Knopfler throws in just prove he was one of the best, and the lyrics are some of my favorite in a Dire Strait's song, although Money For Nothing might take the cake lyrics-wise.

So, that's pretty much my list. There are so many others that I wished I could've included, some honorable mentions include Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Melissa by The Allman Brothers, Gravity by John Mayer, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, the list just goes on and on.

Back to top Go down
http://www.videogamehenchmen.com/
VGH_David
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 10 Favorite Songs and Why?   10 Favorite Songs and Why? EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 3:47 am

FairXChange wrote:
I know everyone has favorite songs, but no one really explains why. So these are mine in no particular order, and why I briefly like them.

1.Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
*Really sad song, but I just kind of think about people who have come and gone in my life

2.In the Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
*I'm just fascinated with this song, but it makes me think I just got to appreciate every day

3.Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
*Love song but it's just awesome

4.Lookin' Out My Backdoor - Creedence Clearwater Revival
*My dad's favorite band, and I always think about home and where I grew when i listen to it.

5.Modern Man's Hustle - Atmosphere
*Not much to say, but it's just been a personal favorite

6.In My Life - The Beatles
*Think everyone has a favorite Beatles song, and this is mine. Just appreciate everything.

7.The Way - Fastball
*90's tune, but I sing it a lot randomly and it has a good meaning

8.Last Resort - The Eagles
*This is my mom's favorite song, so I kind of adopted it as a reminder

9.You Only Live Once - The Strokes
*You probably see a trend by now

10.The Good Life - Weezer
*One of my favorite albums and bands. Basically don't be a stiff and live life.

NMH, very nice. Nice to see other people listen to them.
Back to top Go down
VGH_David
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 10 Favorite Songs and Why?   10 Favorite Songs and Why? EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 4:07 am

Damn, this is too hard. I couldn't possibly give a concrete list of my 10 favorite songs. It would seriously change every day, shit, every minute.

I have a playlist on Grooveshark titled "songs that changed my life" it has at least 60 songs ranging from Beethoven, to Coldplay, to other shit you don't even know about. nothing mainstream, lets be real.

Off the top of my head...here goes...basic rule I'll throw down for myself, only one song per band. (except for my 2 favs)

1) The Only Moment We Were Ever Alone- Explosions in the Sky
Like Jacob said above, this album is life altering. I can't explain it to you. The album changed the way I look at life, and how I approach everyday. You will find yourself.

2) Play Crack The Sky- Brand New
Lyrical genius. Poetry at its finest. Beautiful and elegant. God bless Jesse Lacey.

3) Hands Down- Dashboard Confessional
If you've ever spent a night with a girl you absolutely adore, you'll love this song.

4) Soco Amaretto Lime- Brand New
"You're just jealous cause we're young and in love"

5) Untitled 4- Sigur Ros
You don't even know, until you listen to Sigur Ros. In fact, If you haven't heard Sigur Ros, I firmly believe your opinion on life doesn't matter until you do.

6) Yesterday- The Beatles.
Oh sir, if you only knew.

7) The Scientist- Coldplay
The piano to this is just soul binding.

Cool The Well-Tempered Clavier, book 1- Bach

9) Oh my Sweet Carolina- Ryan Adams
Man when you hit the bottom, you write your best.

10) Only One- Yellowcard

Ok im just going to hit send so I don't change my mind 1,000 times again.

Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: 10 Favorite Songs and Why?   10 Favorite Songs and Why? EmptyTue 10 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm

1. 2112 - Rush (kinda more than one song)
This song is mind blowing. It tells an amazing story (you have to listen to it for yourself) and is a work of genius. The way this song flows is just wow. Truly a technical/passionate suite of music. Take of a whole record side and is definitely worth the 20 minutes of your time.

2. Bold As Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
This song is mastered so perfectly. The way Jimi's licks just roll off his guitar is mesmerizing. Even his voice (which really isn't that good) excels in this song. And once you thought it was done it comes back for a ripping guitar solo, just pure euphoria.

3. Abbey Road Medley - The Beatles (again I cheated lol)
Alright so this whole medley flows so well. It's almost like a theater production. It really has nice structure. The whole album is great but the medley really shines when you listen to it straight. It's just plain awesome.

4. Digital Love - Daft Punk
Daft Punk are a genre of there own. Discovery was an amazing album and really shines with Digital Love. This song is catchy and has some pretty sweet beats. Not to mention the sick keyboard solo at the end. The whole song is just great.

5. Peace Frog - The Doors
The Doors (or should I say Jim Morrison) are insane. This song is so symbolic for the things that Morrison was witnessing (social standards etc.). This song is bizarre and sick but also craftd very well. This song is also way ahead of it's time.

6. La Villa Strangiato - Rush
This song is just plain fun. It leads in nicely and stays interesting throughout. Whether it's the near impossible drum fills by Neil Peart, the crazy guitar solos by Alex Lifeson, or the jazzy basslines by Geddy Lee. This song just sounds perfect.

7. Touching Tongues - Steve Vai
Steve Vai is a guitar genius and isthe most passionate played I have ever heard. This song is just bursting with emotion. I feel the spirituality he was trying to portray in this song. The guitar is just exquisite.

8. Windows To The Soul - Steve Vai
Although not as good as Touching Tongues, it's still a guitar piece of genius. Steve Vai really knows how to shred and put emotion into his playing at the same time.

9. Happiness Is A Warm Gun - The Beatles
I'm really not too sure why I like this song so much. Maybe it's because it keeps me interested the whole time, and I just LOVE the ending high note hit by Paul.

10. Human After All - Daft Punk
Daft Punk really brings it heavy on this song. I'm too sure whether the main riff is guitar or keyboard but it's raw awesomeness. It also has a cool and creepy lyrical component to it also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 Favorite Songs and Why?   10 Favorite Songs and Why? Empty

Back to top Go down

10 Favorite Songs and Why?
Page 1 of 1