Video Game Henchmen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're cheap and expendable.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AnttiApina
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
AnttiApina

Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"  Empty
PostSubject: Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"    Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"  EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 12:28 am

According to Gabe Newell of Valve, the Xbox Live rules are "such a train wreck" because of how difficult it is to update the Xbox 360 version of Team Fortress 2, and that the rules would have to be changed eventually.

Speaking as someone who has the PC version of Team Fortress 2, I'm quite happy with the mountains of free stuff provided. Owners of the 360 version, on the other hand, may reasonably feel like second-class citizens, as it will. Newell, along with Erik Johnson and Doug Lombardi say that the problem is Microsoft's strict rules about how games can be updated over Xbox Live. Newell thought the rules would change because the rules were so complicated.

"We thought that there would be something that would emerge, because we figured it was sort of untenable," Newell explained. "'Oh yeah, we understand that these are the rules now, but it's such a train wreck that something will have to change'."

"The lack of updates on the 360 for TF2 is... a total failure," Johnson said. It's particularly troubling for Valve, he added, "Because it got all the way through to customers. It's like a bug. If you fix a bug before it ever ships, it's pretty cheap. If you ship it and then fix it, it's really expensive. Those ones are really bad."

The PS3, on the other hand, has received considerable praise from Newell. "We're really happy with the current situation with the PS3," he said. "We're solving it now in a way that is going to work for our customers, rather than assuming something is going to emerge later that will allow us to fix this."

Given Valve's position within the online video game community, it's an interesting take on the current console wars, especially since I don't see a clear winner in the 360 versus PS3 online debate myself.
Back to top Go down
FairXChange
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
FairXChange

PostSubject: Re: Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"    Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"  EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 12:42 am

I heard about this issue before. It certainly is a bit of a concern, because Microsoft needs to do a lot of paperwork and certifying for any new updates; including having to pay a fee for updates. Its a bit of a bummer because some developers, much like Valve, continue to give long support for their games, but can't with the restrictions on consoles. Sony also does something similar, except developers need to pay for their demo to be on PSN and how much downloads it gets.

It doesn't make much sense that they need to do all of the certifying for game updates. I'm pretty sure whatever updates they do can be more or less trusted.
Back to top Go down
Superdave513
DONATOR
DONATOR
Superdave513

PostSubject: Re: Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"    Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"  EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 11:32 am

It's all about the money :-\.
Back to top Go down
shivertimbermike
shivertimbermike

PostSubject: Re: Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"    Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"  EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 1:00 am

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprise that Microsoft is actually sucking the money from Valve's updates. Which is weird because PC is run by Microsoft but I think the idea of Steam covers that base.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"    Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"  Empty

Back to top Go down

Valve says Xbox Live rules are a "train wreck"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Video Game Henchmen :: Platform Exclusive Forums :: Cross-Platform Game Discussion-
Jump to: