Video Game Henchmen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're cheap and expendable.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"

Go down 
+15
OME6A
FairXChange
Forgotten_Gamer
VGH_Jacob
RawlerBrawler
shivertimbermike
Count DewKoo
Magnum Force
BlackKnight
Evil Kupo
VGH_Lance
Claustrophobic Clown
Superdave513
Left4DeadFan
TheNameAlreadyExists
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheNameAlreadyExists
Unranked
Unranked
TheNameAlreadyExists

Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" Empty
PostSubject: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 1:56 pm

PLEASE do not take my post literally. Instead PLEASE look at it from a principle standpoint. I am sorry if I am too harsh in some of my words, but just thinking over all that got me very irritated. I tried to keep my post as unoffensive as I am capable of. I know I'm no saint, please take that into consideration. Peace.

This has been bothering me for very long time, but I feel I just have to get it off my chest.

As a foreword, I love VGH's content; and I appreciate the community's contributions and the efforts of the moderators, both forums and chat (even though they are probably the same guys). I am not trying to invoke some kind of revolution or chastise anyone. Take my commentary as kind of food for thought/ topic discussion, read it and take a step back and realize the situation.

I have been following VGH for about hmmm.. a few months now. Through all this time, I realized that the VGH's fanbase (or community, whatever pleases you) is very dependent. What I mean by that is that it seems like the majority of the community has no mind or voice of it's own. To clarify further, it seems like the community's relationship with the VGH crew is "monkey see, monkey do".

That leads me to the point about the attitude of VGH. Now, I am not trying to scold anyone, I am just going to "keep it real". To be straight forward, the vibe I, as a regular viewer, get from VGH is simply, ungrateful. Now, I am not saying they are always like this, which then leads me to another point. To paint a better picture, I'll kind of use a religious analogy. It's like when a so-called Christian prays to God when he is in trouble, but he ignores God when times are good. Lately, I have noticed that the podcast has been lacking a few members of the VGH crew and since knowing that VGH crew consists of 6 people and if situation permits they would all be there I feel like lately one of them are missing, or a few members missing. (Take example, recent podcast) Also, for the Henchman Sweepstakes it's been postponed for almost 4 consecutive podcasts straight, and with nobody in the winning draw you expect to put up the post count? (What gives VGH?) I don't really give a shit about all that. What my point is, it's the principle of deceiving the community that bothers me.

Let's start off with the vibe I get from the VGH community. For a lack of a better word, it's ass-kissing . I am not trying to say this in a malicious way, but just the way I see it and the feeling I get when see what people say and do.

I often frequent other sites and their communities (ie. GiantBomb, CAG, NoobToob, etc.). And what I realize is that these other communities are very willing to point out things when their hosts (ie. CheapyD, Jeff Gerstmann) are bullshitting them, or is doing something out of line. Meanwhile, VGH's community seems like it's sucking on every bone that is thrown their way. What is the difference here? Is the variable age?

I think I have made my point here. I want to state again that I am not trying to insult anyone or "diss" them. I am looking for change here, a change in attitude and thinking. Take a step back and look at the direction this community is going in.

I welcome all sides of opinions and views. Also, it would be of great value to me if someone can bring this to the attention of the VGH crew.

Back to top Go down
Left4DeadFan
Left4DeadFan

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 2:08 pm

Though you did make some valid points I'm afraid I can't agree with all of them.

There are plenty of people in the community that have a mind of their own and aren't ass-kissers. I think you generalized too much on that point.
Back to top Go down
Superdave513
DONATOR
DONATOR
Superdave513

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 2:21 pm

Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" Y-u-mad-tho

It is a free service, if you aren't satisfied with said service, leave. What the monkeys do is your own concern. Let the monkeys play. I for one enjoy being in the VGH community. I could care less what they do. If I don't like it or get bored I just leave and come back some other time. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Claustrophobic Clown
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
Claustrophobic Clown

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 2:40 pm

Our community needs to be more positive. If we don't do something about our actions we're going to make this community look like shit. If someone has a problem with the community, then they have every right to voice their opinion here in the forums. Telling them "If you don't like it, then leave" isn't going to help this community, in fact telling someone that is going to make us worse. We can't ignore this and think this is how things will always be. No, things have to change. Some people have changed their attitude and/or what they say.

Think for a moment before you make that next post. Try to be more understanding of how they feel, new and curious, expecting funny Podcast, help them to understand how things work around here in a positive way. Correct someone when they're wrong and throw in the rules link too. Karma goes a long way.

I know the guys post had more than just the community, but meh. I'm more familiar with the community.

Oh, and cut these guys a little bit of slack. They are only 6 people, and not a power company. Most of the stuff here is binary, and basic. Start ranting when there are 50 of em, or something but for now I think you should turn that frown upside down and applauding them with how much they have accomplished.
Back to top Go down
VGH_Lance
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Lance

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 3:31 pm

We are incredibly appreciative, however sometimes we are unprepared to show our appreciation immediately. We have other things going on in our lives besides this. I can assure you that your opinion will be taken into consideration and we intend to do our best to entertain and inform the community, which is the main reason we do any of this in the first place.

Thanks,
Lance
Editor-in-Chief
VideoGameHenchmen.com
Back to top Go down
http://videogamehenchmen.com
Evil Kupo
Unranked
Unranked
Evil Kupo

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 3:37 pm

VGH_Lance wrote:
We are incredibly appreciative, however sometimes we are unprepared to show our appreciation immediately. We have other things going on in our lives besides this. I can assure you that your opinion will be taken into consideration and we intend to do our best to entertain and inform the community, which is the main reason we do any of this in the first place.

Thanks,
Lance
Editor-in-Chief
VideoGameHenchmen.com

Good ol' Lance "Public Relations" Go, savin the day.
Back to top Go down
BlackKnight
BlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 3:42 pm

You realize that because you are surrounded with people who are willing to do that. There are people just like the "bone-sucking" members of VGH's community in every community you will ever visit, digital or real.

Quote :
Quote:
I am looking for change here, a change in attitude and thinking. Take a step back and look at the direction this community is going in.
There are people who have been here for far longer than you (I am not one of them). You have no room to talk.

You ought to step back and take a look at the good things about this community. Quit nitpicking all the negative things and only using the positive things to assert your negative nitpicking [Oh wow that was hypocritical of me.]
Back to top Go down
Magnum Force
Magnum Force

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 4:59 pm

To the people who are having problems with this whole situation, like many have said before, the guys from VGH don't HAVE to do this. I have seen them put other things aside at times to fulfill commitments to VGH, whether it be delaying plans they have to do just to go broadcast, or canceling all they had to do that day because they had to record a podcast. This "Video Game Henchmen" endeavor isn't without its bumps in the road and yet these guys STILL keep up with the site, podcast every week, site upgrades, new content, forum meet&greet (Jacob & Lance and if you are lucky Evan or David or if you are even luckier John heck, if you are just surrounded with three leaf clovers probably Sean), and broadcast every here and there, free of charge. Don't forget that this is run by a group of gamers who have their own jobs, school, family, friends and/or girlfriends, and lives in general.

That aside, I can understand some of your point with the "ass-kissing" as you so delicately put it. As great as these guys are, I see quite a lot of people who go above and beyond to get the approval and praises of the members and community. Of course there are those who do things out of the generosity of their own hearts and the products of some of these projects turn out really cool, but sometimes I can't help but think "Isn't there something else they could be doing instead?". Oh well, its up to them how they decide to spend their time, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Count DewKoo
Unranked
Unranked
Count DewKoo

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:29 pm

Quote :
This has been bothering me for very long time, but I feel I just have to get it off my chest.
Therapy, or talking to a good friend or family member, is great for that.
Back to top Go down
TheNameAlreadyExists
Unranked
Unranked
TheNameAlreadyExists

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:30 pm

Count DewKoo wrote:
Quote :
Therapy, or talking to a good friend or family member, is great for that.

That's pretty funny, you should consider doing stand-up.
Back to top Go down
shivertimbermike
shivertimbermike

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:35 pm

This thread's ready for closing, now. Everyone's said all the important stuff, and clearly we're not getting a decent response out of you.
Back to top Go down
RawlerBrawler
DONATOR
DONATOR
RawlerBrawler

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:42 pm

I agree with Mike!
Mod, please close thread! D=>
Back to top Go down
VGH_Jacob
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Jacob

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:48 pm

Yeah, before this gets out of hand I'm shutting things down. I think Lance summed up how all of us here at VGH feel. If you have anything else, feel free to PM myself or any of the other VGH staff members.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.videogamehenchmen.com/
VGH_Lance
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Lance

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:51 pm

I respect your opinion, and will fight for your right to express it on every front. I disagree with it completely, though.

I've reopened the thread, but if you fail to provide an actual response to any of the very valid points, it will be locked again.
Back to top Go down
TheNameAlreadyExists
Unranked
Unranked
TheNameAlreadyExists

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:53 pm

Thanks Lance.
But I don't plan to respond to anymore comments as I view my post as just something for the population to think about, not trying to incite argument or debate with others. As you probably understand that internet debates will probably go no where.
Back to top Go down
VGH_Lance
Administrator
Administrator
VGH_Lance

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:54 pm

Actually, discussion and debate, even via the internet (especially via the internet in situations like this) are what lead to changes being made. If you can't defend your position, then there's no reason to have put it out there at all.
Back to top Go down
Superdave513
DONATOR
DONATOR
Superdave513

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:55 pm

The sensible members won't attack you as long you stay mature and discuss seriously without straight-out bashing the VGH , so if you have more to say then some of us would actually like to hear it. Nothing wrong with a serious debate once in a while, as long as we can keep it classy.
Back to top Go down
TheNameAlreadyExists
Unranked
Unranked
TheNameAlreadyExists

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 6:08 pm

Well if you put it that way. I just feel that VGH should show a bit more gratitude. Yes, a few people said that it's a independent free gaming site and that we are just lucky to watch, hear, and read them. I know it's free, but VGH also often asks us to review them on iTunes, subscribe, visit their website, go to the forums, etc. So all I'm asking is that a little bit more gratitude be shown. For example, look at NoobToob, Tobin and Yuzo are always interacting with their community and giving positive feedback. Meanwhile, maybe it's just me, but I sometimes feel that there is a malicious undertone in John's sarcastic jabs at the chat/community or most of the time there are only 2 frequent forum VGH crew members that checks and it's Lance or Jacob, like they seem to use the community as a medium to take out their frustrations. Maybe I should be understanding of when someone is irritated? But it would make all the difference if they (I mean the other crew members) just thanked the community a bit more, even just through words. I use NoobToob as an example because those guys perfectly know how to keep a positive tone in their community. I guess my main theme of change here is to have a general positive attitude in the community and from the VGH crew.
Back to top Go down
Forgotten_Gamer
Forgotten_Gamer

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 6:21 pm

Meh. That's kind of standard messages the just go up at the end of the podcasts. It's not like they're asking you to do it every night and whatnot. Sure, they may not say "thank you" all the time, but the broadcast and the podcast kind of make me think they do actually care, otherwise they probably wouldn't even bother.

Quote :
For example, look at NoobToob, Tobin and Yuzo are always interacting with their community and giving positive feedback.

Those guys do it their way, Lance, Jacob, Evan, David, Sean, and John do it theirs. You can't compare apples and oranges. People are different, we know this from the beginning of time. We all have our own opinions and ideas and this is what makes VGH unique is that nobody agrees with anybody and everybody agrees with somebody.

Quote :
John's sarcastic jabs at the chat/community or most of the time.

I feel like, John's sarcasm is part of his personality. Although it may be put-offish it still a part of the VGH crew and some people respect him for his crude-ness while others don't. You can't change someone just because they are like that, that's a part of his charm.
Back to top Go down
RawlerBrawler
DONATOR
DONATOR
RawlerBrawler

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 6:33 pm

Quote :
Meanwhile, maybe it's just me, but I sometimes feel that there is a malicious undertone in John's sarcastic jabs at the chat/community.

Go figure. Rolling Eyes

It's not just you, I felt that from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
FairXChange
Rookie Member
Rookie Member
FairXChange

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 6:36 pm

I have noticed John's attendance on the podcast is a lacking here and there. Although, article posting he seems to be active for the most part. I never really did had a problem with his sarcasm, I think it adds to his personality to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Left4DeadFan
Left4DeadFan

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 6:38 pm

FairXChange wrote:
I have noticed John's attendance on the podcast is a lacking here and there.

I have noticed that as well, what's the deal John? Too busy for Podcast now?

I know David has to work, so he usually leaves mid-way which sucks as well.
Back to top Go down
TheNameAlreadyExists
Unranked
Unranked
TheNameAlreadyExists

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm

Here is a prime example of John's sarcasm/arrogance.

Quote :
There's not much information I am going to put into this article, I mean, I can't. Well, I could but I don't want to.
Back to top Go down
OME6A
Unranked
Unranked
OME6A

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm

John isn't my favorite article writer. He does have a hint of arrogance, like he's better or more knowledgable than the others but I don't think the other VGH crew members should suffer for 1 persons mistake.
Back to top Go down
Rob_Keyes
DONATOR
DONATOR
Rob_Keyes

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 10:52 pm

TheNameAlreadyExists wrote:
Here is a prime example of John's sarcasm/arrogance.

Quote :
There's not much information I am going to put into this article, I mean, I can't. Well, I could but I don't want to.

Ouch, that is pretty bad. As much as I would love to defend VGH's stand I can't if he is making it worst for himself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"   Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase" Empty

Back to top Go down

Attitude and Direction of VGH and it's "Fanbase"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Video Game Henchmen :: All About VideoGameHenchmen.com :: Who is Video Game Henchmen?-
Jump to: